Government of India shall adopt Open APIs to enable quick and transparent integration with other e-Governance applications and systems implemented by various Government organizations, thereby providing access to data & services and promoting citizen participation for the benefit of the community. The Open APIs shall have the following characteristics for publishing and consumption: The relevant information being provided by all Government organisations through their respective e-Governance applications shall be open and machine readable.
- The relevant information being provided by all Government organisations through their respective e-Governance applications shall be open and machine readable.
- All the relevant information and data of a Government organisation shall be made available by Open APIs, as per the classification given in the National Data Sharing and Accessibility Policy (NDSAP-2012), so that the public can access information and data.
- All Open APIs built and data provided, shall adhere to National Cyber Security Policy.
- The Government organizations shall make sure that the Open APIs are stable and scalable.
- All the relevant information, data and functionalities within an e-Governance application or system of a Government organisation shall be made available to other e-Governance applications and systems through Open APIs which should be platform and language independent.
- A Government organisation consuming the data and information from other e-Governance applications and systems using Open APIs shall undertake information handling, authentication and authorisation through a process as defined by the API publishing Organisation.
- Each published API of a Government organization shall be provided free of charge whenever possible to other Government organizations and public.
- Each published API shall be properly documented with sample code and sufficient information for developers to make use of the API.
- The life-cycle of the Open API shall be made available by the API publishing Government organisation. The API shall be backward compatible with at least two earlier versions.
- All Open API systems built and data provided shall adhere to GoI security policies and guidelines.
- Government organizations may use an authentication mechanism to enable service interoperability and single sign-on.